Conduct and Behavior
The most important element of school bus transportation is the safety of students. In order to achieve a safe and efficient system, drivers must have the cooperation of all student riders. The Board of Education has established certain rules and regulations which must be obeyed in order to ensure safety.
- The school bus driver is completely in charge when transporting students. All instructions given shall be followed and students should cooperate with the driver in any way they can.
- Conduct on the school bus shall be of the same high standard as expected in the classroom. All school rules in effect while in the classroom also apply while students are on the bus. Students shall be courteous to fellow riders and their bus driver. Such acts as fighting, punching, obscene talk or gestures will not be tolerated and will be cause for disciplinary action.
- Students must be ready and on time for boarding the bus each morning. Drivers cannot wait for each student in order to maintain a strict time schedule. Drivers have been instructed not to wait for students. PLEASE BE READY!
- Students shall wait until the bus comes to a full stop before entering the roadway to board the bus or before leaving their seat to get off the bus.
- Students should use extreme caution when getting on or off the bus. When crossing the highway, wait for the driver to signal to do so and cross 10 feet from the front of the bus.
- Students shall always take a seat upon boarding a bus and remain seated at all times while the bus is in motion. If a seat is not available, students should hold on to the to the back of the seat with both hands and face forward.
- Students are to keep arms and heads inside of the bus at all times. Bus windows shall be kept shut unless permission to open them is given by the driver. Throwing objects out of bus windows is not tolerated.
- Smoking or the use of tobacco by students on the school bus is strictly prohibited at all times. Eating of food, drinking of beverages, and taking medication is not permitted on the bus as well.
- Radios, tape recorders, glass items, knives, and other dangerous objects are prohibited on the bus. Also, bulky items, pets and/or animals should not be brought on the bus unless with permission granted ahead of time.
- Buses must be kept clean at all times. Each student has the duty and responsibility to see that he or she does not litter.
- Students shall remain on the bus until it arrives at school or at home. Drivers will not let students off upon request unless a pass is obtained from the building principal for a change in riding status and given to the driver. A parents’ written request is required for any change from one bus to another or for a change in pick-up or drop-off point. The request from the parent must be presented in the school office before noon on the day it is to be used.
The foregoing rules are made for the safety and benefit of all students. Unfortunately, there may be students who will not or do not abide by the rules. In the event of violations, the Board of Education has established the following discipline system:
- Oral warning by the Bus Driver and Head Bus Driver notification.
- Written referral to the Head Bus Driver. If disciplinary action or suspension is warranted, parent and Building Administrator notification.
- Multiple incidents will result in a parent conference with school administrator in order to determine eligibility for continued transportation.
- School authorities may remove a student’s bus privileges at any time if the offense is serious enough to warrant such action, regardless of the number of violations. Examples include, but are not limited to, fighting, repeated offenses and insubordination.
- Exclusive of the oral warnings, parents will be notified of bus incidents and violations.
- Bus drivers are allowed to remove a student from the bus or deny a student the privilege of riding for one day pending investigation of conduct by the building principal and/or the Head Bus Driver. Head Bus Driver must be notified immediately by the bus driver in cases of one day student removal, and bus driver must notify parent on the same day.